1. According to the U.S. Wilderness Act, what role should humans play in wilderness? How does the act define a wilderness (and people’s relationship to it)?
2. What are some of the typical reasons that people have for opposing wilderness designation?
3. Explain the argument according to which wilderness would actually be helped if people had a greater tolerance toward human presence in wilderness. Do you agree with this argument?
4. What are (were) some county officials in the West doing to block wilderness designation of land in their region?
5. Discuss the pros and cons of keeping cars out of National Parks, such as Yosemite and the Grand Canyon.
6. Why do rangers at one of the entrances to Yellowstone National Park sometimes wear gas masks?
7. Describe the case concerning Douglas Thomkins’ attempt to create a National Park in Chile. What lessons can be learned from this?
8. Describe the debate among environmentalists over whether to put solar panels in the Mojave Desert? What are two environmental values that conflict in this case?