1. According to the U.S. Wilderness Act, what role should humans play in wilderness? How does the act define a wilderness (and people’s relationship to it)?
2. What are some of the typical reasons that people have for opposing wilderness designation?
3. Explain the argument according to which wilderness would actually be helped if people had a greater tolerance toward human presence in wilderness. Do you agree with this argument?
4. What are (were) some people doing to try to block wilderness designation of land in their region?
5. Describe the case concerning Douglas Thomkins’ attempt to create a National Park in Chile. What lessons can be learned from this?
6. Describe the debate among environmentalists over whether to put solar panels in the Mojave Desert? What are two environmental values that conflict in this case?
7. Are camera traps in wild areas problematic? Why or why not. What environmental values are in conflict in this issue, if any?