Questions on “Quebec special effects artist not guilty of corrupting morals”
1. Describe what Remy Couture did on his website that got him charged with obscenity?
2. Was it obscene? Did it have artistic merit? Can obscene material have artistic merit?
3. Did Couture use artistic talent to create his images and videos?
4. Do you agree with Couture’s claims he was creating horror and his aim was to disgust? If so, does that suggest it should not be banned?
5. What do you think of Couture’s argument that
a. 1: The state has no business defining what is art
b. 2: That if it shut him down, it was infringing on his right of free expression?